Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger


A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

Published: June 5th 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Page Count: Hardcover, 304

Source: Bought
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Find the Author: WebsiteGood ReadsTwitterBlog, Tumblr

Buy This Book: 
Amazon, Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf
Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.
Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.
Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about. - Good Reads
This is my first Kody Kepling book and it definitely will not be my last. I've been meaning to read her other books, but never managed to get to one until A Midsummer's Nightmare. Something about the cover drew me in. I think because that cover girl looks a little fierce. And the main character of this story; Whitley Johnson is definitely fierce. A fierce bitch. I hated her at first. She was mean. She was heartless. She was whiny. And then the amazing author that Kody Kepling is, made me slowly start to feel for Whitley and begin to sympathize with why she is the way she is and it felt legit. No convenient excuses for her actions. You see it all played out over the course of the book. And I started to feel angry for Whitley, rather than angry at her. I think that is half because of the authors skill and half because I can totally relate to Whitley's situation. I still get those feelings of jealousy with my Father and step family at 27 years old. When her Father kept repeatedly blowing her off, I felt for her. I also loved the secondary characters, who really weaved into the story perfectly. They didn't feel like props just thrown in there: they definitely belonged there and added feelings and momentum to the book. I didn't really feel the love story a whole lot until a bit later into the book and I think what shone more in this book was the character growth, but the romantic interest was good and I felt those required (well, a requirement for me, that is. I love feeling that way when I read...) flutters a few times! 


Overall, a good read and one I'd definitely recommend to those who love the Contemporary Young Adult genre.




                                               4 out of 5 Hello Kitties!

2 comments

  1. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the awesome review, Liza! I definitely have this one on my TBR. I'm glad to hear the secondary characters are present and are great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read my first kody keplinger book recently too (the duff) and really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading more of her books. glad you liked this one. it's hard to make a mean girl likable.

    ReplyDelete